Humminbird is a well-known manufacturer for marine equipment and has produced a long series of fishfinders. The PiranhaMAX 196ci Portable applies professional grade Sonar technology to clearly display everything that goes on under the boat to the user. This model stands out for its precision internal GPS that makes navigation much easier. The trackplotter can be used to mark waypoints as the boat courses through the water. The user can then see the entire track, course over ground and the GPS speeds.
This PiranhaMAX 196ci Portable fishfinder works by sending dual beam sonar waves through the transducer into the water. The echoes returned are plotted to represent the underwater scene. The central beam with its 20-degree angle provides a narrow, concentrated focus that is used for bottom profiling and to highlight structural features. A second beam is spread across 60 degrees such that the coverage area at any point is equal to the current depth; this is used to hunt for fish and bait moving about in the water.
The package includes:
· 3.5 inch diagonal backlit display with 320 by 240 vertical by horizontal resolution
· 256-color TFT display enables contrast-enhanced displays for clarity of vision even in direct sunlight
· A dual beam sonar standard of frequency 200 / 455 kHz is used, with coverage of 28 and 16 degrees, respectively at -10 dB
· Peak-to-peak power output of 1600 watts; RMS power output of 200 watts
· Trackplotter can commit 500 waypoints and 2,000 points to memory
· Sonar operation is acceptable up to a depth of 600 feet
· Device uses the powerful Fish ID+ functionality to interpret sonar responses using advanced processing
· Fish ID+ works in tandem with programmable fish and depth alarms; latter can be set to a value between 3 and 99 feet
· The 12V battery and charger are both included in the package.
· One year warranty is provided by Humminbird
The PiranhaMAX 196ci PT portable GPS trackplotter with a color display fishfinder is another reliable piece of marine equipment from Humminbird, built to handle the harshest underwater terrains. The unit determines the depth of the ground and automatically adjusts the view to show both the bottom and the fish in the same screen. The tilt and swivel mount allows viewing at all angles. While it is possible to view the response from the dual sonar beams independently, they work best together to give a complete underwater picture. Zoom functionality is easy to use and makes underwater viewing even more pleasurable and beneficial.
Users like the easy interface, where the Fish ID+ displays the fish symbol and depth at which it was found, when a successful match is found for pre-set settings. Moreover, the intensity of the sonar response is translated into the approximate size of the fish by using one of three fish icons. They are further thrilled with the alarm that goes off to indicate that fish matching the user settings are found. The depth alarm will sound if the depth goes below the pre-set value. All equipment fit inside a soft-sided carry bag when not in use. With so many beneficial features, anglers can simply switch the unit on and start fishing with instant results.
|Humminbird PiranhaMax 196ci||Humminbird 386ci|
|Screen Size||3.5 in / 89 mm||3.5 in / 89 mm|
|Screen Resolution||320 x 240 pixels||320 x 240 pixels|
|Display Type||256 colors||256 colors TFT|
|Transducer Type||Transom Mount/Trolling Motor||Transom Mount/Trolling Motor|
|Transmit Power||200W RMS|
|Sonar Frequency||200/455 kHz||83/200 kHz|
|Maximum Depth||600 ft||1500 ft 2D|
|GPS Antenna||16 Channel Internal||Internal|
|Plot Trails||0||50 w/20,000 points each|
|Card Slot(s)||N/A||1 MicroSD|
|Map Compatibility||N/A||Navionics Gold/HotMaps|